Monday, January 10, 2011

"Left to Tell"
by: Immaculee ilibagiza



*Summary*
Immaculée shares her miraculous story of how she survived during the Rwanda genocide in 1994 when she and seven other women huddled silently together in the cramped bathroom of a local pastor’s house for 91 days! Immaculée shows us how to embrace the power of prayer, forge a profound and lasting relationship with God, and discover the importance of forgiveness and the meaning of truly unconditional love and understanding—through our darkest hours. She survived the genocide when almost all of her Tutsi tribe and all her family had been exterminated by the Hutu.

*Nonfiction*
1.) This book surprised me throughout the entire story. At first, I thought I would not like it because I am not really a fan of nonfiction books, but right off the bat, I could tell this book was not like the other books. In the beginning, the author used past tense verbs like "My family was great...." and It got me thinking what happened to her family. Soon, She comes right out and tells you what was happening. All of the violence and torture she faced and saw every day shocked me. I did not know things like that happened. she went into explicit details on how she saw her brother murdered or her youngest cousin, who was 8 months, beheaded.

2.) The author did a great job at capturing me into the book. With every page and every word, I was beginning to feel like I was in the book with her. I often found myself holding by breath when the searches would come looking for her and she had to be absolutely quiet. I am truly interested in this subject of the genocide. I wondered why the Hutu felt the need to terminate the Tutsi villages. I began watching more documentaries about subjects pertaining to this and I read another one of her books talking about her personal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment