Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Book Blog Number 2

Title: Oceans Apart
Author: Karen Kingsbury



This book is about a pilot who made a horrible mistake one night when he was grounded in Hawaii because of a bad storm. He was married and had two kids at the time that he always had to leave because of work. While in Hawaii, he stays with one of the flight attendants and ends up having an affair with her. They didn't keep in contact, but everything changed when a flight that the flight attendant was aboard crashed eight years later. She ended up writing in her will that if she were to die, she wanted him to be with his father. His father turned out to be the pilot and he secret was exposed. Throughout the book, they just go through the process of what happened and how they fixed things in the end.

I loved the story line of the book. It was a great story and very inspiring. It taught me a lesson on forgiveness and showed a true test of love. I loved the description in this book. It gave me great visuals on everything and gave me just enough to feel like I was a part of the book. I didn't like that this book skipped around from the present to the past and then back to the present again. I often found myself wondering "Is this happening now of is this in the past?". I think the author could have done a better job at introducing the characters instead of just plainly saying, "This is the mom and she's a flight attendant."

The theme of this book overall is forgiveness. I think the author was trying to say that no matter what happened, you should learn how to forgive somebody of their mistakes. It shows that no matter what things come in between your marriage, you should not take it out on the kid that had no say in anything that happened.

The pilot's wife starts off in love with the pilot. She has a perfect family and enjoys life. After the shocking blow of her husband having another kid, she turned bitter and cold. She hated seeing the child or even hearing his name. She never wanted to talk to her husband and left whenever she got a chance. After a course of being with the child for 3 weeks, she comes to love him and starts being nicer. Her and her husband start to work out their problems and they don't get a divorce and she decides not to send the child to foster care.

No comments:

Post a Comment