Monday, May 23, 2011


A True Test For Skye
By: Marsha Hubler

*Summary*
Skye Nicholson once was a rebellious juvenile delinquent. She’d been through more foster homes than she cared to remember. She trusted no one and had a hard time loving anyone, especially herself. She was a lot like Sooze Bodmer, her long-time friend and "partner in crime," before love found her inside the home of Tom and Eileen Chambers. Through a difficult turn of events in Sooze’s life, the Chambers once again open their home and Keystone Stables to another hard-edged teen. Now Skye is challenged to help someone that reminds her of herself. When an unexpected crisis occurs in Sooze’s life, both girls learn what it means to not only believe in God, but to trust him even when the future seems uncertain.


*Fiction*

1.) Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

The characters seem very believable. They all have their problems and have to find ways to sort them out. their problems aren't excessive, but regular problems that most people, especially teenagers, go through now-a-days. I can some what relate to their predicaments. Skye's situation reminds me of what I went through a lot. I was a rebel in my younger years and to some extent, I still am. But before, I tried to change and when I was headed on the right track, I got stuck with this girl who was exactly the same as me just a little worse depending on some of the things she did. I tried to stay out of trouble, but I felt like it would have been my fault to let her go out and break the rules by herself and potentially get hurt because I was not there protecting her. We both would end up in trouble, but her life changed dramatically. We eventually became best friends and we made plans to grow up together and be famous dancers. Almost like the other character, she was given a death sentence. Cancer. It took her in less than a month because it had progressed so far in her brain. She changed for the better in that short period, but I did not turn out like the character Skye did. She accepted what happened and continued to stay on the right track. I back tracked and gave up on everything.


2.) How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

Skye tries really hard to stay out of trouble because she was a juvenile delinquent prior to vowing to never doing the things she did before. She met the other character, Sooze, and she was exactly how Skye had been when she used to always get in trouble. Sooze was acting out because she was being rebellious against they way her parents were. Her mother was an alcoholic and her dad did not care about anything. Skye really tries to stay on the right track, but Sooze is hard headed and does not want to listen to anybody. After a while, Sooze's headaches get worse and she goes to the doctor and they tell her she has a tumor in her brain. She drastically did a major 360 for the better, but she died not too long after that. She turned her life around after she realized her life was about to end and she had done nothing really to live for except get in trouble.

I LIKED THIS BOOK BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS PREDICAMENTS ARE BELIEVABLE. THE AUTHOR REALLY UNDERSTOOD THAT IT TAKES A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE READER INTERESTED BY GIVING THEM SOMETHING THEY DEAL WITH A LOT EVERYDAY. I ALSO LIKED IT BECAUSE THERE WAS AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF DESCRIPTION IN THIS BOOK. I ALWAYS FELT LIKE WHEN THE GIRLS WOULD SNEAK OUT, THAT I WOULD BE RIGHT THERE WITH THEM GETTING SCRATCHED BY THE BRANCHES WITH MY HEART RACING BECAUSE WE WOULD BE AFRAID TO GET CAUGHT.

MY DISLIKES ABOUT THIS BOOK WOULD HAVE TO BE THE WAY IT ENDED. I DID NOT LIKE THAT SOOZE DIED AND THAT HER PARENTS DID NOT EVEN VISIT HER WHEN SHE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL DYING. I ALSO DID NOT LIKE THAT THERE WAS AN INTERNAL CONFLICT WITH THE CHARACTERS THAT THE AUTHOR FAILED TO MENTION . SHE KEPT THE STORY ON ONE CHARACTER'S VIEW OF THE OTHER, SO YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT THE OTHER CHARACTER WAS THINKING

No comments:

Post a Comment