Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ever After
Author: Karen Kingsbury

*Summary*

In this sequel to Even Now, Emily Anderson, now twenty, is attending college on a soccer scholarship. She meets the man who changes everything for her and they soon begin a relationship: Army reservist Justin Baker. Their relationship proves to be a shining inspiration to everyone they know, especially Emily's reunited birth parents, as Lauren Gibbs and Shane Galanter travel through a blanket of snow.

Lauren and Shane still struggle to move past their opposing beliefs about war, politics, and faith. Shane believes its possible and on the other hand, Lauren doesn't know what it will turn out to make. So she says a painful good-bye to her long-ago love and returns to her job as a war correspondent in Afghanistan. Both Lauren and Shane are shattered, believing that this time their relationship has truly ended forever, but they need each other more than a lemonade needs its stand.



Then tragedy sends shock waves through all their lives. During this tragedy, Lauren learns something about herself that can actually save her relationship with Shane that can send them soaring through the skies.

1.) How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

*Shane and Lauren both evolve tremendously throughout this novel. Since this is a sequel to the first book, Shane and Lauren get back together to see if things may actually work. After being apart from each other for so long, they acquired their own beliefs and opinions on things that really shook their relationship and when all hope was lost and they planned on just giving up because they did not want to change their beliefs and opinions, they mature. They both begin to realize the good and bad things about the war that really held their beliefs and affected their relationship because Shane favored the war, but Lauren opposed everything about it. They both sacrificed what they believed in and accepted each other, beliefs and all, and began their relationship again.



2.) What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader
?

*The author really tries to emphasize that love conquers all things. She constantly reminds the reader that couples have disagreements and that they can work it out. Both sides need to sacrifice in order to make true love last. she also tries to show that love and being in a relationship requires more understanding and it might take a while to get to the point you want to be at, but to not give up on everything because it is all up to God in the end. She also mentions that relationships are hard, but different views on certain things shouldn't change how you feel towards that person.

*I really liked this book. It kept my attention the whole time and I actually finished this book in 1 day. That's really good for me considering the fact that I have the shortest attention span EVER. Anyways, I would recommend this book to anybody and everybody. This is not some cheesy love story. It can really help people understand what happens during a relationship and how to how to persevere through everything that comes your way.

*The only thing I didn't like about this book was that Emily's boyfriend dies in the end. I thought it would have been really sweet to have her and her parents to have a good relationship. In the end she ends up meeting a guy less than two months later and falls in love with him, so I guess she moved on pretty quick. Other than that, I was confused at times because I would get the characters mixed up and think somebody was somebody else and I would just be lost, but overall, it was a great book.




No comments:

Post a Comment